SUSQUEHANNA TOWNSHIP SCHOOL DISTRICT
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17109
PARENT INVOLVEMENT POLICY
(Title I Program)
The Susquehanna Township School District is committed to the belief that all children can learn and acknowledges that parents share the school’s commitment to the educational success of their children.
The Susquehanna Township School District recognizes that a child’s education is a responsibility shared by the school and family and agree that to effectively educate all students, the schools and parents must work as knowledgeable partners.
We define parent and family involvement as an on-going process that assists parents and families to meet their basic obligation as their child’s first educator, promotes clear two-way dialogue between home and school and supports parents as leaders and decisions makers at all levels concerning the education of their children.
To this end, a written plan for Title I parent involvement that establishes programs and practices to enhance parent involvement and reflects the needs of students and families will be jointly developed by parents and school staff. The plan will be unique to each school and provide a sense of direction for designing initial and on-going activities.
The plan will also include a school-parent compact and support the development, implementation, and regular evaluation of the parent involvement program by parents. Implementation of the plan will be a priority of the school community.
The following parent involvement guidelines pertain to all students being served in the Title I program:
- Parents shall be notified in writing that the child is eligible for Title I services.
- Communication with parents will be provided in a timely manner throughout the school year.
- Parents are encouraged to attend all conferences. When possible, Title I teachers will participate in parent conferences.
- A yearly parent meeting will be held at which time the Title I program will be explained and educational activities will be presented.
- Parents will be made aware of any regional Title I Parent Meeting and other programs of interest to parents.
- An annual meeting will be convened for the purpose of evaluation of the parent involvement program.
Approved by the School Board – July 29, 1996
Amended by the School Board – January 27, 1997
Amended by the School Board – November 25, 2002