I LOVED these ideas that came from a blog I follow (a PSR Gathering).... If you are tired of the following conversation,You- "How was your day?"Your child- "Fine" or worse "boring"Try asking some of these questions:
There's the usual...
1. What was your favorite part of the day? Why?2. Did anything exciting or different happen?3. If it was a good day, then why was it a good day?4. What is something you learned today that you didn't know yesterday?
5. Good thing, hard thing: ask them to give you an example of something good about their day, and something hard. You may have to give them an example, but this is usually very effective!6. Light thing, heavy thing: same concept as good or hard thing, but usually for older kids, and again may need an example.7. Describe your day in one sentence.8. Describe your day using 5 words.
9. Who did you play with on the playground?10. What game did you play?
Or try...Ask specific questions about their teacher or subjects:
11. Did you do any art projects?12. Did your teacher read any books to you?13. Who did you sit with at lunch?14. Was today a music, library or computer lab day?
High school or Middle school students can be harder, try beginning with the fun stuff:
15. Ask about morning announcements, funny stories about friends, or any games/plays/activities.16. Did you work in a group or any experiments today? How did that go?
17. What happened at school today that you would have done differently?
Then finally: try asking about more teacher or classroom stuff:
18. Were there any quizzes, tests,19. Did you have any substitutes in any of your classes?20. Did you have an assembly or any presentations?
Some kids can still find ways to make these simple answer questions, but trying different angles and questions to ask can help. Even after the questions, if you are still struggling,putting in the effort will make a difference to that child. Keep up the good work!Available (http://www.psrideaweb.com/2012/11/how-to-avoid-having-fine-day.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+APsycho-socialGathering+%28A+Psycho-Social+Gathering%29)